Place:


Sturminster Newton  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sturminster Newton like this:

STURMINSTER-NEWTON, a small town, a parish, and a hundred, in Dorset. The town stands on the river Stour, and on the Dorset and Somerset railway, 8½ miles NW of Blandford; dates from very early times; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office‡ under Blandford, a r. station, two banking offices, two chief inns, a market house, remains of a castle and a market cross, a six-arched bridge, a church rebuilt in 1827, two dissenting chapels, a literary institution, national schools, a workhouse, charities £21, a weekly market on Thursday, and fairs on 12 May and 24 Oct. ...


The parish comprises 4,229 acres, and is in Sturminster district. Real property, with Hinton-St. Mary and Bagber, £13,205-Pop., 1,880. Houses, 410. The manor was given by Alfred to his son Ethelwald; passed to Glastonbury abbey, and to Queen Catherine Parr; and was given, by Elizabeth, to the Hattons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £712.* Patron, Lord Rivers.- The hundred contains 5 parishes; and is chiefly in Sturminster division, but partly in Shaston div. Acres, 12.120. Pop. in 1851, 4,462. Houses, 948.

Sturminster Newton through time

Sturminster Newton is now part of North Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sturminster Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sturminster Newton in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13946

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sturminster Newton ".