Place:


Syston  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Syston like this:

SYSTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Newark and county of Lincoln; 1½ mile ESE of Barkstone r. station, and 3 N by E of Grantham. Post town, Grantham. Acres, 1,613. Real property, £2,396. Pop., 238. Houses, 46. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to Sir J. H. Thorold, Bart. ...


The village, under the name of Willingham, together with the neighbouring Jericho woods, figures in Sir Walter Scott's "Heart of Midlothian." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £83.* Patron, the Rev. J.Thorold, Bart. The church is partly Norman. There is an endowed school with £30 a year.

Syston through time

Syston is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Syston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Syston, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13911

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Syston ".