Place:


Norton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:

NORTON, a village and a township in Campsall parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 8¼ miles N of Doncaster: and has a station on the railway . The township comprises 2, 830 acres. Real property, £3, 300. Pop., 633. Houses, 144. The manor belongs to Catherine Hall, Cambridge. A priory anciently was here; and the remains of it have been converted into two farm-houses and a few cottages. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and some small charities.

Norton through time

Norton is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13835

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton ".