Place:


Newton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton like this:

NEWTON, a township, with a village, in Slaidburn parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Hodder, adjacent to Lancashire, 6½ miles N by W of Clitheroe. Acres, 6, 556. Real property, £4, 198. Pop. in 1851, 449; in 1861, 394. Houses, 80. The decrease of pop. was caused by the substitution of power-looms for hand-looms. Heaning is the seat of T. Parker, Esq.; Knowlmere Manor, of J. Peel, Esq.; and Dunnow Hall, of L. Wilkinson, Esq. There is a mixed national school; and the schoolroom is used as a chapel of ease.

Newton through time

Newton is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13820

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton ".