Place:


Stow  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stow like this:

STOW, or Stowe, a village, a township, and a parish, in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The village stands 2 miles E of Marton r. station, and 7½ SE of Gainsborough; was known to the Saxons as Sidnaceaster; was the seat of an early bishopric, a germ of the see of Lincoln; had a college, founded by Bishop Eadnorth, and transmuted into a Benedictine abbey at Eynsham; had also a castle, still represented by remains in Stow Park; and now has a post-office under Gainsborough, and a fair on 10 Oct.- The township includes the village. ...


Real property, £4,309. Pop., 404. Houses, 92.—The parish contains also Sturton township and two hamlets; and comprises 4,620 acres. Pop., 1,070. Houses, 233. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is chiefly Norman; and the chancel was restored in 1852. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £12 a year, and charities £38.

Stow through time

Stow is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stow, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13773

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stow ".