Place:


Naburn  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Naburn like this:

NABURN, a village in Escrick parish, and a township-chapelry partly also in Acaster-Malbis parish, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, at the boundary of W. R. Yorkshire, 4 miles N E by E of Copmanthorpe r. station, and 4 S of York; and has a ferryon the Ouse, and a post-office under York. ...


The chapelry comprises 2, 466 acres. Real property, £4, 648; of which £30 are in fisheries. Pop., 471. Houses, 92. Pop. of the Escrick portion, 382. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. W. L. Palmes Naburn Hall, Bell Hall, Lincroft Lodge, and Deighton Grove are chief residences; and the first commands extensive views of the Ouse valley. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £80. Patron, the Rev. W. L. Palmes. The church is recent, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £11.

Naburn through time

Naburn is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Naburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Naburn, in York and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13758

Date accessed: 18th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Naburn ".