In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bickley like this:
BICKLEY, a township in Malpas parish, Cheshire: near Cholmondeley Castle, 3 ¼. miles NE of Malpas. Acres, 2,096. Real property, £2,790. Pop., 397. Houses, 73. About a quarter of an acre of the surface, covered with trees, sank suddenly with a thundering noise, on 18 June 1657, into a deep subterranean flood, long since dried up, leaving a chasm, called the Barrel Fall. Two metal tablets, inscribed with a decree of the Emperor Trajan, were found in 1812, and conveyed to the British museum. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bickley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bickley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bickley, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bickley".