Place:


Millington  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Millington like this:

MILLINGTON, a village and a parish in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds, near Ermine-street, 2¾ miles NNE of Pockling ton r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Little Givendale; and its Post town is Pocklington, under York. Acres, 2,750. ...


Real property, £2,314. Pop., 275. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. A place about ½ a mile NE of the village contests, with Londesbrough and other places, the claim of having been the Delgovitia of the Romans; and it has yielded coins, tiles, tesselated pavements, foundations of a circular temple, and other relics of Roman date. Vast earth-works, from 60 to 90 feet high, enclosing an area of 4,185 acres, are in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Great Givendale, in the diocese of York. Valne, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient but good, and has a small tower. There are a slightly endowed school, and charities £25.

Millington through time

Millington is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Millington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Millington, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13717

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Millington ".