Place:


Middleton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton like this:

MIDDLETON, a township in Ilkley parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Wharfe, 5½ miles NW by W of Otley. Acres, 2,763. Real property, £1,836. Pop., 167. Houses, 41. Middleton Lodge is the ancient seat of the Middleton family, and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel. Middleton moor forms a large portion of the township, and extends beyond it.

Middleton through time

Middleton is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Middleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13708

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Middleton ".