Place:


St Stephens by Launceston  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Stephens By Launceston like this:

STEPHEN'S (St.), a parish and a sub-district in Launceston district, Cornwall. The parish adjoins Launceston town and r. station; was known at Domesday as Lanson; includes the disfranchised borough of Newport; and has cattle fairs on 12 May, 31 July, and 25 Sept. Post town, Launceston. Acres, 3,905. ...


Real property, £4,340. Pop., 873. Houses, 174. Tredidon and Carnedon are chief residences. A small manganese mine was here, but has been relinquished. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £110. Patrons, the Inhabitants. The original church was collegiate, and was changed in 1126 into an Augustinian priory. The present church stands on a hill, and has a good tower.—The sub-district contains 6 parishes and a part. Acres, 28,776. Pop., 3,607. Houses, 697.

St Stephens by Launceston through time

St Stephens By Launceston is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Stephens By Launceston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Stephens by Launceston in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1357

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Stephens By Launceston ".