Place:


Sempringham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sempringham like this:

SEMPERINGHAM, a township and a parish in Bourn district, Lincoln. The township lies 2 miles E of the Bourn and Sleaford railway, and 3 E S E of Folkingham. Real property, £3, 710. Pop., 57. Houses, 10. The parish contains also the hamlet of Birthorpe and the village of Pointon; the latter of which has a post-office under Folkingham. ...


Acres, 3, 480. Pop., 632. Houses, 117. A Gilbertine priory was founded here in 1148, by Sir Gilbert de S., a native and vicar; and was the head of its order in England. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £137. Patron, Earl Fontescue. The church was the church of the priory, is early English, and has a massive pinnacled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Sempringham through time

Sempringham is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sempringham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sempringham, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13563

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sempringham ".