Place:


Scartho  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scartho like this:

SCARTHO, a parish, with a village, in Caistor district, Lincoln; on the East Lincoln railway, 2 miles Sby W of Great Grimsby. Post-town, Grimsby. Acres, 1, 390. Real property, £1, 913. Pop., 188. Houses, 40. The manor belongs to the Earl of Yarborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £231.* Patron, Jesus College, Oxford. The church has an early English nave, and a tower originally Saxon; and was recently repaired. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Scartho through time

Scartho is now part of North East Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scartho itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scartho in North East Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13539

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scartho ".