Place:


Ropsley  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ropsley like this:

ROPSLEY, a village and a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln. The village stands 5 miles N E of Great Ponton r. station, and 6 E S E of Grantham; and has a post-office under Grantham. The parish contains also the hamlet of Little Humby. Acres, 3, 740. Real property, £5, 390. Pop., 845. Houses, 191. ...


The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £940.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is bad, but has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £12 a year, and 25 acres of townland. Bishop Fox, the founder of Corpus Christi college, Oxford, was a native.

Ropsley through time

Ropsley is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ropsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ropsley, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13506

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ropsley ".