Place:


Twerton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Twerton like this:

TWERTON, or Twiverton, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Bath district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, and on the Great Western railway, 2 miles W of Bath; carries on woollen-cloth manufacture, carpet-making, and tanning; and has a post-office‡ under Bath, a r. ...


station, two suspension bridges, a modern church with old tower and Norman doorway, a school church, four dissenting chapels, and a parochial school.—The parish comprises 971 acres. Real property, £8,659; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop., 3,012. Houses, 649. The property is much subdivided. The railway here traverses a tunnel 227 yards long. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £400.* Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. Bath jail is here.—The sub-district contains 7 parishes. Acres, 14,192. Pop., 6,953. Houses, 1,472.

Twerton through time

Twerton is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Twerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Twerton in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13488

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Twerton ".