Place:


Melbecks  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melbecks like this:

MELBECKS, a township and a chapelry in Grinton parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, 2 miles E of Muker, and 12 NW by W of Leyburn r. station; and contains the hamlets of Blaides, Barfend, Feetham, Kearton, Lodge-Green, Longrow, Poting, Winserings, Wintering-Garths, Smarber, and Gunnerside, the last of which has a post office under Richmond, Yorkshire. ...


Acres, 10,106. Real property, £4,846; of which £106 are in mines. Pop., 1,622. Houses, 326. The property is much subdivided.—The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1841. Pop., 2,173. Houses, 431. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Grinton. The church is modern.

Melbecks through time

Melbecks is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Melbecks itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melbecks, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13469

Date accessed: 13th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Melbecks ".