Place:


Almer  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Almer like this:

ALMER, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; on an affluent of the Stour, 3½ miles S by W of Spettisbury r. station, and 7 W by S of Wimborne-Minster. It contains the hamlet of Mapperton. Post Town, Shapwick under Blandford. Acres, 1,161. Real property, £2,686 Pop., 155. Houses, 34. The manor belongs to T. S Drax, Esq. of Charborough; and much of the surface is included in Charborough Park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £284.* Patron, Miss Drax.

Almer through time

Almer is now part of East Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Almer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Almer in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13453

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Almer ".