Place:


Martons Both  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martons Both like this:

MARTON, or MARTONS-BOTH, a parish in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles WNW of Elslack r. station, and 5¾ WSW of Skipton. It contains the villages of East Marton and West Marton, about a mile asunder, each with a post office under Skipton; and contains also the hamlet of Marton-Scars. ...


Acres, 2,793. Real property, £4,537. Pop. in 1851,341; in 1861, 256. Houses, 62. The manor, with Gladstone House, belongs to the Rev. D. R. Roundell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £200.* Patron, the Rev. D. R. Roundell. The church is old but good; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There is an endowed school with £25 a year.

Martons Both through time

Martons Both is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Martons Both itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martons Both, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13448

Date accessed: 26th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Martons Both ".