Place:


Wraxall  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wraxall like this:

WRAXALL, a village and a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset. The village stands 2 miles NNE of Nailsea r. station, and 6½ W of Bristol; and has a post-office under Bristol. The parish includes Failand hamlet, and comprises 3,773 acres. Real property, £7,483. Pop. in 1851, 1,016; in 1861, 912. ...


Houses, 183. The manor belongs to Sir J. H. G. Smyth, Bart. W. House, W. Lodge, Charlton House, Naish House, Tyntesfield, and Belmont are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £575.* Patron, the Rev. E. P. Vaughan. The church is later English. There are a school-church, a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £73.

Wraxall through time

Wraxall is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wraxall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wraxall in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13431

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wraxall ".