In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hillingdon like this:
HILLINGDON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Uxbridge district, Middlesex. The village stands near the Uxbridge railway, the Grand Junction canal, the river Colne, and the boundary with Bucks, 1 mile SE of Uxbridge; was known, at Domesday, as Hillendone; and has a post office under Uxbridge, and a policestation.The parish contains also the town and township of Uxbridge, the villages of Yiewsley and Colham, and the hamlets of Gould-Green, Peel-Hatch, ColhamGreen, Long Atter, and Hockley Hole; and a detached part of it is encompassed by Ickenham parish. ...
Acres, 4, 720. Real property, £32, 230; of which £200 are in the canal, and £250 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 9, 588; in 1861, 10, 758. Houses, 2, 052. Pop., exclusive of Uxbridge, in 1851, 6, 352; in 1861, 7, 522. Houses, 1, 424. The increase of pop. arose partly from the erection of barracks. The Uxbridge workhouse is in ColhamGreen; and, at the census of 1861, had 211 inmates. Moorcroft lunatic asylum is in Gould-Green; and, at the census, had 61 inmates. The manor belonged to Roger de Montgomery; passed to the Salisburys, the Lacies, the Stranges, and the Stanleys; and belongs now to the De Burghs. The old manor house has been demolished. An old rectory-house, now extinct, was used by the Bishops of Worcester, who had the rectorial titles. Hillingdon Park, or Little London, belonged to Count de Salis. Cedar House was the seat of Reynardson, the naturalist; and took its name from a cedar tree which, in 1779, measured from 12½ to nearly 16 feet in the girth of its stem, and from 89 to 96 feet in the diameter of its head. Other chief residences are Hillingdon House, H. Court, H. Place, H. Grove, Little H. and Dawley Court. Charles I. halted here, in 1646, on his way to the Scottish army. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £489.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is later English, in good condition; stands on a commanding eminence at the village; figures conspicuously over many miles; and contains a few brasses and two fine monuments. A chapel of ease, built in 1859, is in Yiewsley. A section of the parish, with a pop. of about 2, 500, was constituted a separate charge in 1865, a vicarage, with income of £230, * in the patronage of the Bishop of London. The church for it bears the name of St. Andrew's; was built, in 1865, at a cost of £7, 700; is of yellow brick, with red brick in patterns; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty shingle spire. The p. curacies of Uxbridge and Uxbridge-Moor also are separate benefices. There are national and British schools, and charities £878.The sub-district includes also Cowley and West Drayton parishes, but excludes Uxbridge township. Acres, 5, 870. Pop., 8, 844. Houses, 1, 681.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hillingdon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hillingdon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hillingdon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hillingdon in Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hillingdon".