Place:


North Ormesby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Ormesby like this:

ORMSBY (North), or Nun-Ormsby, a village and a parish in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands2½ miles S W of Ludborough r. station, and 5 N W by N of Louth; and is small but pleasant. The parish comprises 1, 707 acres. Post-town, Louth. Real property, £2,008. Pop., 155. Houses, 28. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to E. Saunders, Esq. A Gilbertine nunnery was founded here in the time of Stephen, by the Earl of Albemarle and Robertde Ormsby; and was given, at the dissolution, to Sir R. Heneage. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £250. Patron, Major Wing. The church was rebuilt in 1848; and is a neat structure, with a bell-turret. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

North Ormesby through time

North Ormesby is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Ormesby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Ormesby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13381

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Ormesby ".