Place:


Newton on Trent  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton on Trent like this:

NEWTON-UPON-TRENT, a village and a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The village stands near the river Trent at the boundary with Notts, 3¼ miles S of Torksey r. station, and 10 S by E of Gainsborough; and has a post-office under Newark. The parish comprises 1, 390 acres. Real property, £3, 328. ...


Pop., 325. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. Dunham bridge, across the Trent here, was erected in 1832, at a cost of £17,000; and is a cast-iron structure offour arches, resting on stone piers, and each 118 feet in span. Spring tides reach the bridge, with a rise of 4feet; and there are wharves. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £222.* Patrons, Lord and Lady T. Hay. The church has undergone consider-able repair, and has a lofty tower.

Newton on Trent through time

Newton on Trent is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton on Trent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton on Trent, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13355

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton on Trent ".