Place:


Longwood  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longwood like this:

LONGWOOD, a village and a township-chapelry in Huddersfield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Leeds and Manchester branch of the Northwestern railway, 2½ miles W of Huddersfield; and has a station on the railway, gas-works erected in 1860, and a local board of health established in 1861. ...


-The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Darklane, Dodlee, Hirst, Outlane, Snowy-Lee, and Sunnybank, and parts of Milnes-bridge and Royds-Hall. Post town, Huddersfield. Acres, 910. Real property, £8,010; of which £110 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851,3,023; in 1861,3,402. Houses, 684. The property is much subdivided. Cotton-spinning, cotton-doubling, cottonwarp-making, and fancy woollen manufactures are carried on. Two large reservoirs of the Huddersfield waterworks are here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. * Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The church is a plain building, neither good nor large, with a bell-turret. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a New Connexion Methodist chapel, a mechanics' institute, free schools, national schools, and charities £98.

Longwood through time

Longwood is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longwood, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13325

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longwood ".