Place:


Letwell  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Letwell like this:

LETWELL, a township-chapelry in Laughton-en-le-Morthen parish, W. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to the boundary with Notts, 4 miles SSW of Tickhill, and 5 N of Shireoak r. station. It has a post office under Worksop. Acres, 1,090. Real property, £1,380. Pop. in 1851, 115; in 1861,139. Houses, 27. The manor belongs to Sir Thomas W. White, Bart. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Firbeck, in the diocese of York. The church consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower.

Letwell through time

Letwell is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Letwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Letwell, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13303

Date accessed: 23rd May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Letwell ".