Place:


Hanley  Staffordshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hanley like this:

Hanley, parl. and mun. bor., Staffordshire, in The Potteries district, 18 miles N. of Stafford and 147 miles NW. of London by rail -- mun. bor. (wholly in Stoke upon Trent par.), 1648 ac., pop. 48,361; parl. bor. (comprising the mun. bors. of Hanley and Burslem), pop. 75,912; 4 Banks, 2 newspapers. ...


Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Hanley was made a mun. bor. in 1857, and a parl. bor. in 1885; it returns 1 member to Parliament. It is a modern town, which owes its prosperity to its vast mfrs. of china, encaustic tiles, and earthenware. It has been called the "Metropolis of the Potteries." Coal and iron are obtained in the neighbourhood, and many of the inhabitants are employed at furnaces, foundries, brickworks, &c,.

Hanley through time

Hanley is now part of Stoke on Trent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stoke on Trent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hanley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hanley, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1320

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hanley ".