Place:


Portbury  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Portbury like this:

PORTBURY, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Somerset. The village stands adjacent to the Bristoland Portishead railway, near Wans dyke, 1½ mile W of the river Avon, and 6 W N W of Bristol; occupies the site of a Roman station, where Roman coins, foundations of Roman villas, and other Roman relics have beenfound; and has a post-office under Bristol, and a railway station. ...


The parish includes the tythings of Abbots, Caswell, Claptons-Wick, Court, Cross, Failand, Hamgreen, Happerton, Honor, Peters, Sheepway, Watchouse, and Woolcombe; and is in Bedminster district. Acres, 3, 849; of which 130 are fore-shore water. Real property, £7, 310. Pop., 677. Houses, 135. The manor belongs to Sir W. Abdy, Bart. An Augustiniancell to Bromere priory was here, and has left some vestiges. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £400.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and chapel, with a fine tower. There are a parochial school, and charities £9. The hundred contains also eleven other parishes. Acres, 26, 369. Pop.in 1851, 10, 765; in 1861, 11, 558. Houses, 2, 242.

Portbury through time

Portbury is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Portbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portbury in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13151

Date accessed: 27th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Portbury ".