Place:


Hepworth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hepworth like this:

HEPWORTH, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Kirkburton parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on a declivity, under the backbone uplands of England, 2 miles SE of Holmfirth r. station, and 7 S by E of Huddersfield; and has a post office under Huddersfield.-The township includes also the hamlets of Barnside, FosterPlace, Meal-Hill, Jacksons-Bridge, and Law. ...


Acres. 3, 370. Real property, £4, 398; of which £500 are in mines, £30 in quarries, and £568 in iron works. Pop., 1, 530. Houses, 276. The manor belongs to S. W. L. Fox, Esq. Iron works were established in 1858; and ironstone and coal are worked.—The chapelry was constituted recently. Pop. in 1865, about 3, 000. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, not reported. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkburton. The church was built in 1863; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, chancel, and transepts, with vestry and bellturret. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £24 a year, and other charities with £5.

Hepworth through time

Hepworth is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hepworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hepworth, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1309

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hepworth ".