Place:


Marton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marton like this:

MARTON, a parish and a sub-district, in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The parish lies on the river Trent at the boundary with Notts, on the Roman road from Lincoln past Littleborough, and on the Littleborough and Gainsborough railway, 5 miles S by E of Gainsborough; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Gainsborough. ...


Acres, 1,310. Real property, £2,685. Pop. in 1851,544; in 1861,487. Houses, 117. The manor belongs to Col. Amcotts. The Trent here is navigable; and the village of Marton, or Marton-Port, stands close to it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £115.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £10.—The sub-district contains also six other parishes. Acres, 14,047. Pop., 2,091. Houses, 464.

Marton through time

Marton is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marton, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12998

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marton ".