Place:


Isle Abbots  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Isle Abbots like this:

ISLE-ABBOTTS, a village and a parish in Langport district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Isle, 6 miles SSW of Langport r. station; and has a post office under Taunton. The parish contains also the tything of Stewley, and the hamlet of Woodlands. Acres, 1, 935. Real property, £2, 963. ...


Pop., 397. Houses, 82. The manor belongs to the duchy of Cornwall; and much of the land, to the Uttermare family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is decorated English, with a later English tower; and comprises nave, aisles, chancel, transept, and S porch. There is a Baptist chapel.

Isle Abbots through time

Isle Abbots is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Isle Abbots itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Isle Abbots in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12975

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Isle Abbots ".