Place:


Ilton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ilton like this:

ILTON, a village and a parish in Chard district, Somerset. The village stands adjacent to the Chard canal, 2 miles NNW of Ilminster r. station; and has a post office under Ilminster. The parish contains also the hamlets of Ashford, Hurcott, and Ilford. Acres, 1, 719. Real property, £3, 479. ...


Pop., 492. Houses, 105. The manor belongs to Lady Egremont. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £123.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is decorated English and early perpendicular; was restored in 1860; and consists of nave, N aisle, transept, chancel, and chancel aisle, with tower and spire. Charities, £60.

Ilton through time

Ilton is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ilton in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12974

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ilton ".