Place:


Greinton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greinton like this:

GREINTON, or GRENTON, a parish in Bridgewater district, Somerset; 4 miles S of Shapwick r. station, and 6 SW by W of Glastonbury. Post town, Shapwick, under Bath. Acres, 845. Real property, £1, 679. Pop., 161. Houses, 38. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to S. T. Kekewich, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £165. * Patron, S. T. Kekewich, Esq. The church consists of gave and chancel, with a tower; and was repaired in 1859. There is a national school.

Greinton through time

Greinton is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greinton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greinton, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12914

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greinton ".