Place:


Heptonstall  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heptonstall like this:

HEPTONSTALL, a village and a parochial chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on a bleak eminence, adjacent to the river Hebden, 1 ½ mile NW of Hebden-Bridge r. station, and 8 W by N of Halifax; and has a post office under Manchester, and a cattle fair on Easter Tuesday. ...


The chapelry includes also the hamlets of Erringden, Langfield, Stanfield, and Wadsworth. Acres, 5, 320. Real property, £10, 686. Pop. in 1851, 4, 177; in 1861, 3, 497. Houses, 790. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in hand loom weaving. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the trustees of the Saville estates. Much of the land is moor and common. There are silk, cotton, and cotton spinning manufactories. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church was built in 1854, near a previous church which became dilapidated; is in the later English style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with square tower. There are Chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a grammar school, and several small charities.

Heptonstall through time

Heptonstall is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heptonstall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heptonstall, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12892

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heptonstall ".