Place:


Hampole  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hampole like this:

HAMPOLE, or HAMPALL, a township in Adwick-le-Street parish, W. R.Yorkshire; 5 miles NW of Doncaster. Acres, 1, 420. Real property, £, 499. Pop., 160. Houses, 34. A Cistertian nunnery was founded here, in 1170, by William de Clarefai; and was given, at the dissolution, to Francis Aislaby. A chapel, on the site of the nunnery, was built by the late Lord Rendlesham; was intended, and for some time used, as a chapel of ease; but is now a Wesleyan chapel. There is an endowed school, with £15 a year.

Hampole through time

Hampole is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hampole itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hampole, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12823

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hampole ".