Place:


Aldridge  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldridge like this:

ALDRIDGE, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Walsall, Stafford. The town stands near the Worley canal, 2¾ miles ESE of Pelsall r. station, and 3½ NE of Walsall; and it has a post office under Walsall. An extensive distillery is here; and fine potter's clay and coal are worked in the neighbourhood. ...


Pop., 1,179. Houses, 234.—The parish includes also the town of Great Barr. Acres, 7,752. Real property, £6,041. Pop., 2,254. Houses, 454. The property is divided among a few. A height called Barr-Beacon, is said to have been a place of Druidical sacrifices; and a pool, called Druid Mere, makes an occasional overflow, and has been popularly imagined to possess some supernatural quality. Barr-Hall-Park is the seat of Sir E. D. Scott, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £375.* Patron, the Rev. J. F. Smith. The church contains a monument of a Stapleton, and is good. The vicarage of Great Barr is a separate benefice. Jordan's schools have £118 from endowment, and other charities £64.-The subdistrict comprises two parishes and part of a third. Pop., 7,026. Houses, 1,413.

Aldridge through time

Aldridge is now part of Walsall district. Click here for graphs and data of how Walsall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldridge, in Walsall and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1282

Date accessed: 23rd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldridge ".