Place:


Easton in Gordano  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Easton in Gordano like this:

EASTON-IN-GORDANO, or St. George, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; on the Bristol and Portishead railway, and on the left side of the river Avon, 5 miles WNW of Bristol. It contains Pill pilot station; and has a post office under Bristol. Acres, 1, 931; of which 40 are water. Real property, £5, 478. ...


Pop., 2, 028. Houses, 440. The surface is rather elevated, and commands beautiful prospects along the Avon and into Bristol channel. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £265.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is modern. The vicarage of Pill is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities £18.

Easton in Gordano through time

Easton in Gordano is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Easton in Gordano itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Easton in Gordano in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12812

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Easton in Gordano ".