Place:


Grinton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grinton like this:

GRINTON, a township and a parish in Reeth district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, at the influx of Arkle beck, 1 mile SE of Reeth, and 9 WSW of Richmond r. station; and has fairs on Good Friday and 21 Dec. Acres, 2, 934. Real property, £3, 256; of which £75 are in mines. ...


Pop., 611. house, 110. The parish includes also the chapelry of Muker, and the townships of Melbecks and Reeth, the last of which has a post office under Richmond, Yorkshire. Acres, 48, 961. Real property, £32, 558; of which £13, 101 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4, 924; in 1861, 4, 537. house, 930. The decrease of pop. was mainly caused by the closing of lead mines. The property is much subdivided. Much of the surface is moorland. Lead, copper, and iron ores have been extensively worked. A curiins cavern, called Crackpot, is at the sinrce of a brook which runs thringh the parish to the Swale. An ancient British camp and two barrows are near the river. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £250.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient but good; and has windows with interesting ancient stained glass. The p. curacies of Melbecks and Muker are separate benefices. There are a national school, several endowed schools, and some small charities.

Grinton through time

Grinton is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grinton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grinton, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12763

Date accessed: 16th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grinton ".