Place:


Kirkby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkby like this:

KIRKBY, a village and a parish in Caistor district, Lincoln. The village stands on a branch of the river Ancholme, 2½ miles W by S of Usselby r. station, and 3½ NW of Market-Rasen. The parish contains also the village of Osgodby, which has a postal letter box under Market-Rasen; and it bears the name of Kirkby-cumOsgodby. ...


Acres, 1, 710. Real property, £2, 211. Pop., 477. Houses, 108. The property is much subdividedThe manor belongs to George Hewit, Esq. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Owersby, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is Norman, in good condition, and has a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and a national school.

Kirkby through time

Kirkby is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkby, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12751

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkby ".