Place:


Grassington  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grassington like this:

GRASSINGTON, a township and a sub-district in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township is in Linton parish; lies on the river Wharfe, 8¾ miles N of Skipton town and r. station; and has a post office‡ under Skipton, a worsted mill, a weekly market on Wednesday, and fairs on 4 March, 24 April, 29 June, and 26 Sept. ...


Acres, 5, 714. Real property, £15, 665; of which £10, 180 are in mines. Pop. in 1851 1, 138; in 1861 1, 015. Houses, 240. The decrease of pop. was occasioned by reduction of employment at a cotton factory. Grassington House is a chief residence. Grassington Moor is rich in minerals; and a ton of lead ore there sometimes yields 1, 600 lbs. of lead, but is poor in silver. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, national schools, and a mechanics' institute. -The sub-district includes three other townships of Linton parish, and five of Burnsall. Acres, 27, 571. Pop., 2, 764. Houses, 620.

Grassington through time

Grassington is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grassington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grassington, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12742

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grassington ".