Place:


North Curry  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Curry like this:

CURRY (North), a village, a tything, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Somerset. The village stands near the river Tone and the Bridgewater and Taunton canal, 3 miles ESE of Durston r. station, and 6 ENE of Taunton; has a post office‡ under Taunton, and a fair on the first Tuesday of Sept.; and was formerly a market-town. ...


The tything includes also the hamlet of Broadlane. The parish contains likewise the tythings of Knapp, Lillesdon and Wrantage. Acres, 5, 556. Real property, £13, 231. Pop., 1,839. Houses, 426. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Saxon kings; and belongs now to the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £325.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is later English and in good condition. The vicarages of West Hatch and Stoke-St. Gregory are separate benefices. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and a national school. -The sub-district contains eight parishes; and is in Taunton district. Acres, 17, 064. Pop., 5, 999. Houses, 1, 330. The hundred contains five parishes. Acres, 12, 790. Pop., 4, 276. Houses, 937.

North Curry through time

North Curry is now part of Taunton Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Taunton Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Curry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Curry, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12723

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Curry ".