Place:


South Kelsey  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Kelsey like this:

KELSEY (SOUTH), a village and a parish in Caistor district, Lincoln. The village stands near the head of the Ancholme navigation, 2 miles W by S of Moortown r. station, and 6 WSW of Caistor; and has a post office under Caistor. The parish contains also the hamlet of Moortown, and comprises 4, 980 acres. ...


Real property, £5, 921. Pop., 633. Houses, 127. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £600. Patron, alternately the Crown and G. B. Skipworth, Esq. There formerly were two churches and two parishes, St. Mary and St. Nicholas. St. Nicholas' church has gone to ruin. St. Mary's church is a neat modern edifice, with an ancient tower, and has been extensively repaired. There are two chapels for Wesleyans, one for Primitive Methodists, and a national school. Bishop Ayscough, the confessor of Henry VI., and Anne Askew, the martyr, were natives.

South Kelsey through time

South Kelsey is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Kelsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Kelsey, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12688

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Kelsey ".