Place:


Chew Magna  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chew Magna like this:

CHEW-MAGNA, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, 3 miles W by S of Pensford, and 5 SE of Bourton r. station; has a post office‡ under Bristol; is a seat of petty sessions; and was once a borough and a market-town. ...


The parish includes the tythings of Bishop-Sutton, North Elm, Stone, Knowle and Knighton-Sutton; and both it and the village are sometimes called Bishops-Chew. Acres, 006. Real property, £1, 230. Pop., 1,855. Houses, 394. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Bath and Wells. Chew Court is a ruined mansion of the middle ages. A Druidical circle is at Stanton-Drew; and a Roman camp, at Bow-Ditch. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Holy Trinity, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £634.* Patron, alternately the Bishop and others. The church is decorated English; and was restored in 1860. The p. curacy of Dundry is a separate benefice. There is a chapel of ease at Bishops-Sutton. There are also chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school, and charities £36. -The sub-district contains seven parishes and a ville. Acres, 13, 009. Pop., 4, 422. Houses, 966.

Chew Magna through time

Chew Magna is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chew Magna itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chew Magna in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12558

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chew Magna ".