Place:


Brislington  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brislington like this:

BRISLINGTON, a parish in Keynsham district, Somerset; on the river Avon and the Great Western railway, 2½ miles SE of Bristol. It has a post office under Bristol. Acres, 2,393. Real property, £9,697. Pop., 1,489. Houses, 218. The property is divided among a few. Brislington House is a large and well-arranged lunatic asylum. ...


Brislington tunnel, on the line of the railway, goes through the shale and sandstone of the coalmeasures; is 3,148 feet long; and has four ventilating shafts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £170. Patron, F. L. Popham, Esq. The church is good; and was not long ago enlarged. There are a national school and charities £12.

Brislington through time

Brislington is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brislington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brislington, in Bristol and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12473

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brislington ".