Place:


Farnley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farnley like this:

FARNLEY, a township-chapelry in Otley parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the river Wharfe, 2 miles NNE of Otley, and 3¾ NW of Arthington r. station. Post town, Otley. Acres, 1,822. Real property, £2, 850. Pop., 186. Houses, 30. Farnley Hall is the seat of F. H. Fawkes, Esq.; is a fine Tudor edifice, with modern additions; and has, among other paintings, Guido's "Magdalene" and Vandyke's "Duchess of Arenberg. " The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £40. Patron, F. H. Fawkes, Esq. The church is recent.

Farnley through time

Farnley is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farnley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farnley, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12452

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farnley ".