Place:


Farnham  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farnham like this:

FARNHAM, a township and a parish in Knaresborough district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Ure, near the Boroughbridge railway, 2 miles N of Knaresborough. Acres, 1, 350. Real property, £1, 899; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop., 165. Houses, 34. The parish includes also the townships of Scotton and Ferensby, and part of Arkendale. ...


Post town, Knaresborough. Real property, with the rest of Arkendale, £8, 205. Pop., 609. Houses, 148. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Maudes. Copper ore occurs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £130. Patrons, the Rev. T. Collins and Mr. Shann. The church belonged to the priory of Bello Valle; is partly Norman; and was recently restored. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Farnham through time

Farnham is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farnham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farnham, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12450

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farnham ".