Place:


Canvey Island  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Canvey Island like this:

CANVEY-ISLAND, a chapelry in Billericay and Rochford districts, Essex; encircled by the Thames, opposite the Hope, adjacent to Benfleet r. station, 4½ miles SW of Rayleigh. It comprises parts of Vauge, Pitsea, Bowers-Gifford, North Benfleet, South Benfleet, Hadleigh, Pritthewell, and Southchurch parishes; and its Post Town is South Benfleet, under Chelmsford. ...


Acres, about 3,500. Pop., 111. The property is much subdivided. The surface is marshland sheep-pasture; and it is protected all round by embankment, and connected with the mainland by a causeway. Fairs are held on 25 June and 25 Sept. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £58. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is good.

Canvey Island through time

Canvey Island is now part of Castle Point district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Point has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Canvey Island itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Canvey Island, in Castle Point and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1241

Date accessed: 25th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Canvey Island ".