Place:


Barwick  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barwick like this:

BARWICK, a parish in Yeovil district, Somerset; on the verge of the county, 2 miles S of Yeovil r. station. It includes the hamlet of Stoford; and its Post Town is Yeovil. Acres, 784. Real property, £2,064. Pop., 458. Houses, 89. Barwick House is the seat of J. Newman, Esq. There are two flax mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100. Patron, J. Newman, Esq. The church is early English.

Barwick through time

Barwick is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barwick in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12385

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barwick ".