In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashwick like this:
ASHWICK, a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; on the Fosseway, near Masbury camp, 3¾ miles NNE of Shepton-Mallet r. station. It includes part of the hamlet of Oakhill, which has a post office under Bath. Acres, 1,525. Real property, £4,179. Pop., 778. Houses, 201. The property is divided among ten. Ashwick Grove is the seat of the Stracheys. Coal is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £113. Patron, the Vicar of Kilmersdon. The church is good; and there are three dis senting chapels, and charities £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashwick has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashwick and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashwick, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashwick".