Place:


Cotherstone  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cotherstone like this:

COTHERSTON, a township in Romaldkirk parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Tees and the Tees . Valley branch railway, 3¾ miles NW of Barnard-Castle. It contains five hamlets, and has a post office under Darlington and a railway station. Acres, 8, 2 28. Real property, £4, 120. Pop., 561. Houses, 128. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists; and ruins of an old castle, which belonged to the Fitz-Hughses.

Cotherstone through time

Cotherstone is now part of Teesdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teesdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cotherstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cotherstone, in Teesdale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12206

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cotherstone ".