Place:


Winterslow  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterslow like this:

WINTERSLOW, a parish, with a village, in Alderbury district, Wilts; 3½ miles SSE of Porton r. station, and 6 ENE of Salisbury. It has a post-office under Salisbury, and an inn. Acres, 4,843. Real property, £4,990. Pop., 904. Houses, 188. The manor was anciently he1d on the tenure of providing claret for the king at Clarendon palace. ...


W. house was a residence of the Fox family, and was burned down in 1774. Many Saxon and early Norman coins, cut into halves and quarters, have been found. A lioness, which had escaped from a travelling menagerie, seized a horse of the Exeter mail, near W. inn, on a dark night of 1816. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £784.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, and charities £53.

Winterslow through time

Winterslow is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winterslow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterslow, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12169

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winterslow ".