Place:


Tilshead  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tilshead like this:

TILSHEAD, a parish, with a village, in Amesbury district, Wilts; 7½ miles N by E of Wiley r. station, and 9 S by E of Devizes. It has a post-office under Devizes. Acres, 3,990. Real property, £2,933. Pop., 500. Houses, 108 The property is divided among a few. There are several barrows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £200.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was recently restored and enlarged. There is a national school.

Tilshead through time

Tilshead is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tilshead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tilshead, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12124

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tilshead ".