Place:


Tisbury  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tisbury like this:

TISBURY, a small town, two parishes, a sub-district, and a district, in Wilts. The town stands on a declivity, adjacent to the river Nadder, and to the London, Yeovil, and Exeter railway, 14 miles W of Salisbury; derived some importance, in old times, from the neighbourhood of Wardour Castle; numbers among its natives Sir John Davies, who died in 1626, and Chief Justice Hyde, who died in 1631; and has a post-office‡ under Salisbury, a r. ...


station with telegraph, a fine church of the early part of the 13th century, Independent and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and charities £170. -The parishes are East T. and West T.; and prior to 1834, they and Wardour formed one parish, comprising the tythings of Tisbury, Chicksgrove, Staple, and Hatch. Acres of the original parish, 7,355. Real property, £13,888; of which £122 are in quarries. Pop. of East T., 942; of W. T., 653. Houses, 199 and 134. Place Farm is the old manor house, dating from the 14th century; was an occasional residence of the Abbess of Shaftesbury; and still retains its gateway and its barn. The livings are a conjoint vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £306.* Patron, Lord Arundel.—The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 10,839. Pop., 3,207. Houses, 633.—The district includes also Donhead and Hindon sub-districts, and comprises 40,494 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £5,919. Pop. in 1851, 10,181; in 1861, 9,862. Houses, 2,064. M ages in 1863, 63; births, 350,-of which 27 were illegitimate; deaths, 203,-of which 63 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 744; births, 3,081; deaths, 1,930. The places of worship, in 1851, were 20 of the Church of England, with 5,632 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 1,069 s.; 3 of Baptists, with 485 s.; 2 of Wesleyans, with 400 s.; 4 of Primitive Methodists, with 220 s.; 1 of the Catholic and Apostolic Church, with 160 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 400 s. The schools were 22 public day-schools, with 1,345 scholars; 10 private day-schools, with 218 s.; 19 Sunday schools, with 1,443 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 56 s. The workhouse is in Wardour.

Tisbury through time

Tisbury is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tisbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tisbury, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12122

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tisbury ".